Friday 20 April 2012

Carpentary;A rewarding venture-Aniobi

A Bauchi-based female carpenter, Mrs. Ngozi Aniobi, has urged women to re-double their efforts and venture into the carpentry trade, currently dominated by men.

 Aniobi who spoke with newsmen in Bauchi challenged women in the country to  be determined to acquire skills for personal development.

Aniobi, who ventured into the business 12 years ago after the death of her husband, said carpentry had remained her means of income for the training of her four children. Aniobi, who hails from Enugu State, said through the carpentry business, she had been able to send two of her children to the university.

She said she had trained three persons in the trade, adding that 10 other persons were still undergoing training in furniture making in her workshop. “After the death of my husband, I started learning from his boys then; and before you knew it, I had started making beds and other things. “My neighbours at the workshop wanted to talk me out of it, thinking that because of my feminine nature, I would not be able to cope with the challenges but to their greatest surprise, see me now, I made it.

“As we are now in this workshop, I have children that come here as apprentices. After school, their parents bring them. I also have two of my daughters, who work with us after school,” she said

                                           culled;Nigeriannewsdesk

No comments: