Wednesday 23 May 2012

Man prostrates in court to save marriage

A 44-year-old man, Oladoye Oyinlola on Tuesday, prostrated before an Agege Customary Court in Lagos, in desperation to save his marriage.

Oyinlola told the court to dissuade his wife, Afusat, from dissolving their 20-year-old marriage.

Afusat had urged the court to dissolve the marriage, after accusing her husband of adultery, assault and battery.

The petitioner told the court that coping with Oyinlola's excesses in the last ten years had become unbearable.


Pics:googleimage


"He beat me whenever he became drunk. I have spoken with his family about it, yet there is no improvement. All I get after I advise him is beating," said the mother of three.

Afusat also told the court that she was seeking divorce because she wanted to prevent their children from taking after their father.

"If I don't leave, he might end up killing me because he is always very drunk. I don't love him anymore and no amount of pleading will make me change my mind," she added.

Afusat also described her husband as an adulterer with many female friends, including married women.

Oyinlola however claimed to still love his wife, promising to be a better husband and father to Afusat and their children.

"I want her to give me the last chance as I do not drink again. Ever since she left my house, I have not been able to think properly," he said.

Oyinlola also asked to be put on probation, which the court president, Emmanuel Sokunle granted.

"I will give the couple a long time to effect changes and if the man does not change, the union will be dissolved," he said.

 The case was adjourned to August 5, 2012, for further hearing.

Culled:247nigerianewsupdate

No comments: